CPA For Freelancers™ and the Self Employed in NYC
I’m Jonathan Medows.

I’m a licensed, New York City-based CPA who works with people just like you: Freelancers.

I know that self-employed people need specific advice on all sorts of tax and accounting issues.

They need help maximizing their profits, learning how to run their businesses efficiently and minimizing their tax liability.

They need more than just a “tax guy” – they need a true partner working with them to achieve business success.

And I know they need all these services provided at an affordable rate.

How do I know all this? Well, I’m self-employed too.
For the past seven years, I’ve been in private practice as a CPA for freelancers and the self-employed in NYC. So I know first-hand about all the recent developments in federal, state and local tax law that affect freelancers and self-employed people, because they affect me just like they do you.
Let me tell you a little about my background. I got a Bachelor of Science, magna cum laude, in economics and accounting and an MBA in finance from the Stern School of Business at New York University. I also received a Master of Arts in Judaic Studies and was ordained as a Rabbi by the Jewish Theological Seminary of America, but I have decided to pursue accounting over a rabbinical career.
I am a certified public accountant licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Maryland. Before I ventured out on my own, I was a staff accountant for Arthur Andersen and a senior consultant in the Restructuring Group of KPMG.
Because of my specialty helping freelancers, I am often quoted as an expert in stories about self-employment taxes. You may have seen my name in publications such as The New York Post, BusinessWeek, WebCPA and others.
In order to help you get started as a freelancer and answer many of your questions about self-employment, I’ve compiled a Accounting and Financial Guide for Freelancers, Self-Employed Individuals and Small Business Owners right here on this website. If you are a freelancer, sole proprietor, LLC, S-Corp, C-Corp, or a home business operator, you will find this series of articles accessible, up-to-date and very useful.
Take a few minutes to read the material I’ve posted here. You’ll learn about what to do before you strike out on your own; how to keep proper self-employment records; what taxes you must pay as a freelancer; whether you should form a legal entity for your business; how to best manage your cash flow and much more.
Taxes were a lot simpler when you just had to fill out your 1040 with a W-2 as supporting documentation. Now that you work for yourself, there are a whole host of other responsibilities that are discussed on this website. I’m also here to come alongside and help you, in person or over the telephone. Although my office is in New York City, I work with freelancers all over the U.S. Together, we will find ways to keep more of the money you work hard to earn in your pockets.
Call my office and make an appointment. Don’t wait until you are scrambling to fill out your tax returns. We offer a free initial consultation*, at your convenience, with evening and weekend appointments available. There's no obligation and you get one-on-one friendly service from an experienced and qualified CPA for freelancers in NYC. I look forward to meeting you!
* To qualify for a free consultation you must be a member of the Freelancers Union and mention this upon contacting me. Please note that this offer is not available during Jan 1 - April 18 and covers a general conversation about tax responsibilities of a freelancer and potential deductions. These meetings do not include review of self-prepared documents, review of self-prepared tax returns or the review of the work of other preparers. The free meeting does not include the preparation or review of quantitative calculations of any sort. We are happy to provide such services but we would need to charge an hourly rate for our time.
Read more